2. Anderson S, Bankier AT, Barell BG, et al. Sequence and organization of the human mitochondrial genome. Nature. 1981;290:457–65.
3. Bibb MJ, Van Etten RA, Wright CT, et al. Sequence and organization of mouse mitochondrial DNA. Cell. 1981;26:167–80.
4. McFarland R, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM. Mitochondrial disease-its impact, etiology and pathology. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2007;77:113–46.
5. Wallace DC. Mitochondrial genetics: a paradigm for aging and degenerative diseases? Science. 1992;256:628–32.
7. Lightowlers RN, Chinnery PF, Turnbull DM, et al. Mammalian mitochondrial genetics: heredity, heteroplasmy and disease. Trends Genet. 1997;13:450–5.
8. Chan DC. Mitochondria: dynamic organelles in disease, aging and development. Cell. 2006;125:1241–52.
10. Thorburn DR, Sugiana C, Salemi R, et al. Biochemical and molecular diagnosis of mitochondrial respiratory chain disorders. Biochem Biophys Acta. 2004;1659:121–8.
11. Holt IJ, Harding AE, Morgan-Hughes JA. Deletions of muscle mitochondrial DNA in patients with mitochondrial myopathies. Nature. 1988;331:717–9.
12. Scaglia F, Towbin JA, Craigen WJ, et al. Clinical spectrum, morbidity and mortality in 113 pediatric patients with mitochondrial disease. Pediatrics. 2004;114:925–31.
13. Jackson MJ, Shaefer JA, Johnson MA, Morris AA, Turnbull DM, Bindoff LA. Presentation and clinical investigation of mitochondrial respiratory chain disease. A study of 51 patients. Brain. 1995;118:339–57.
14. Chinnery PF, DiMauro S, Shanke S, et al. Risk of developing a mitochondrial DNA deletion disorder. Lancet. 2004;364:592–6.
15. Zeviani M, Moraes CT, DiMauro S, et al. Deletions of mitochondrial DNA in Kearns-Sayre syndrome. Neurology. 1988;38:1339–46.
16. Lestienne P, Ponsot G. Kearns-Sayre syndrome with muscle mitochondrial DNA deletion. Lancet. 1988;1:85
17. Goto YI, Nonaka I, Horai S. A mutation in the tRNALeu (UUR) gene associated with the MELAS subgroup of mitochondrial encephalomyopathies. Nature. 1990;348:651–3.
18. Shoffner JM, Lott MT, Lezza AMS, et al. Myoclonic epilepsy and ragged-red fiber disease (MERRF) is associated with a mitochondrial DNA tRNALys mutation. Cell. 1990;61:931–7.
19. Nikoskelainen EK, Savontaus M-L, Wanne OP, et al. Leber’s hereditary optic neuroretinopathy, a maternally inherited disease. Arch Ophthalmol. 1987;105:665–71.
20. Shoffner JM, Wallace DC. Oxidative phosphorylation diseases and mitochondrial DNA mutations: diagnosis and treatment. Annu Rev Nutr. 1994;14:535–68.
21. Morris AA, Appleton RE, Power B, et al. Guanidinoacetate methyltransferase deficiency masquerading as a mitochondrial encephalopathy. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2007;30:100
22. Wolf NI, Smeitink JAM. Mitochondrial disorders. A proposal for consensus diagnostic criteria in infants and children. Neurology. 2002;59:1402–5.
23. Morava E, van den Heuvel L, Hol F, et al. Mitochondrial disease criteria. Diagnostic applications in children. Neurology. 2006;67:1823–6.
24. Hutchesson A, Preece MA, Gray G, Green A. Measurement of lactate in cerebrospinal fluid in investigation of inherited metabolic disease. Clin Chem. 1997;43:158–61.
26. Haas RH, Dietrich R. Neuroimaging of mitochondrial disorders. Mitochondrion. 2004;4:471–90.
27. Jeppesen TD, Quistoriff B, Wibrand F, et al. 31P-MRS of skeletal muscle is not a sensitive diagnostic test for mitochondrial myopathy. J Neurol. 2007;254:29–37.
28. Kaufmann P, Engelstad K, Wei P, et al. Dichloroacetate causes toxic neuropathy in MELAS. A randomized, controlled clinical trial. Neurology. 2006;66:324–33.
29. Koga Y, Akita Y, Nishioka J, et al. L-arginine improves the symptoms of stroke like episodes in MELAS. Neurology. 2005;64:710–2.
30. Taylor RW, Chinnery PF, Turnbull DM, et al. Selective inhibition of mutant human mitochondrial DNA replication in vitro by peptide nucleic acids. Nat Genet. 1997;15:212–5.
31. Clark KM, Bindoff LA, Lightowlers RN, et al. Reversal of a mitochondrial DNA defect in human skeletal muscle. Nat Genet. 1997;16:222–4.
32. Rotig A, Appelkvist EL, Geromel V, et al. Quinone-responsive multiple respiratory-chain dysfunction due to widespread coenzyme Q10 deficiency. Lancet. 2000;356:391–5.
33. Bugiani M, Lamantea E, Invernizzi F, et al. Effects of riboflavin in children with complex II deficiency. Brain Dev. 2006;28:576–81.