1. Herman ST. Epilepsy after brain insult: targeting epileptogenesis. Neurology. 2002;59:S21–6.
2. Hauser WA, Annegers JF, Kurland LT. Incidence of epilepsy and unprovoked seizures in Rochester, Minnesota: 1935–1984. Epilepsia. 1993;34:453–68.
3. Baker CJ, Prestigiacomo CJ, Solomon RA. Short-term perioperative anticonvulsant prophylaxis for the surgical treatment of low-risk patients with intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery. 1995;37:863–70. discussion 70–1..
4. Shaw MD, Foy PM. Epilepsy after craniotomy and the place of prophylactic anticonvulsant drugs: discussion paper. J R Soc Med. 1991;84:221–3.
5. Siomin V, Angelov L, Li L, Vogelbaum MA. Results of a survey of neurosurgical practice patterns regarding the prophylactic use of anti-epilepsy drugs in patients with brain tumors. J Neurooncol. 2005;74:211–5.
6. Privitera M, Fincham R, Penry J, et al. Topiramate placebo-controlled dose-ranging trial in refractory partial epilepsy using 600-, 800-, and 1,000-mg daily dosages. Topiramate YE Study Group. Neurology. 1996;46:1678–83.
7. Benbadis SR, Tatum WOt, Gieron M. Idiopathic generalized epilepsy and choice of antiepileptic drugs. Neurology. 2003;61:1793–5.
8. Smith-Swintosky VL, Zhao B, Shank RP, Plata-Salaman CR. Topiramate promotes neurite outgrowth and recovery of function after nerve injury. Neuroreport. 2001;12:1031–4.
9. Yang Y, Li Q, Shuaib A. Enhanced neuroprotection and reduced hemorrhagic incidence in focal cerebral ischemia of rat by low dose combination therapy of urokinase and topiramate. Neuropharmacology. 2000;39:881–8.
10. Gilliam FG, Veloso F, Bomhof MA, et al. A dose-comparison trial of top-iramate as monotherapy in recently diagnosed partial epilepsy. Neurology. 2003;60:196–202.
11. DeLorenzo RJ, Sombati S, Coulter DA. Effects of topiramate on sustained repetitive firing and spontaneous recurrent seizure discharges in cultured hippocampal neurons. Epilepsia. 2000;41:Suppl 1. S40–4.
12. Zhang X, Velumian AA, Jones OT, Carlen PL. Modulation of high-voltage-activated calcium channels in dentate granule cells by topiramate. Epilepsia. 2000;41:Suppl 1. S52–60.
13. Herrero AI, Del Olmo N, Gonzalez-Escalada JR, Solis JM. Two new actions of topiramate: inhibition of depolarizing GABA(A)-mediated responses and activation of a potassium conductance. Neuropharmacology. 2002;42:210–20.
14. White HS, Brown SD, Woodhead JH, Skeen GA, Wolf HH. Topiramate enhances GABA-mediated chloride flux and GABA-evoked chloride currents in murine brain neurons and increases seizure threshold. Epilepsy Res. 1997;28:167–79.
15. Shank RP, Gardocki JF, Vaught JL, et al. Topiramate: preclinical evaluation of structurally novel anticonvulsant. Epilepsia. 1994;35:450–60.
16. Maryanoff BE, Nortey SO, Gardocki JF, Shank RP, Dodgson SP. Anticonvulsant O-alkyl sulfamates. 2,3:4,5-Bis-O-(1-methylethylidene)-beta-D-fructopyranose sulfamate and related compounds. J Med Chem. 1987;30:880–7.
17. Rosengart AJ, Huo JD, Tolentino J, et al. Outcome in patients with sub-arachnoid hemorrhage treated with antiepileptic drugs. J Neurosurg. 2007;107:253–60.
18. Rapport RL, Penry JK. A survey of attitudes toward the pharmacological prophylaxis of posttraumatic epilepsy. J Neurosurg. 1973;38:159–66.
19. Agrawal A, Timothy J, Pandit L, Manju M. Post-traumatic epilepsy: an overview. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2006;108:433–9.
20. Guerrini R, Carpay J, Groselj J, et al. Topiramate monotherapy as broad-spectrum antiepileptic drug in a naturalistic clinical setting. Seizure. 2005;14:371–80.
21. Hsieh LP, Huang CY. Trends in the use of antiepileptic drugs in Taiwan from 2003 to 2007: a population-based national health insurance study. Epilepsy Res. 2011;96:81–8.
22. Faught E. Topiramate in the treatment of partial and generalized epilepsy. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2007;3:811–21.
23. Dodson WE, Kamin M, Kraut L, Olson WH, Wu SC. Topiramate titration to response: analysis of individualized therapy study (TRAITS). Ann Pharmacother. 2003;37:615–20.
24. Biton V, Montouris GD, Ritter F, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled study of topiramate in primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures. Topiramate YTC Study Group. Neurology. 1999;52:1330–7.
25. Arroyo S, Dodson WE, Privitera MD, et al. Randomized dose-controlled study of topiramate as first-line therapy in epilepsy. Acta Neurol Scand. 2005;112:214–22.
26. Guerrini R, Parmeggiani L. Topiramate and its clinical applications in epilepsy. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2006;7:811–23.
27. French JA, Kanner AM, Bautista J, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of the new antiepileptic drugs II: treatment of refractory epilepsy: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee and Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Epilepsy Society. Neurology. 2004;62:1261–73.
28. Sachdeo RC, Reife RA, Lim P, Pledger G. Topiramate monotherapy for partial onset seizures. Epilepsia. 1997;38:294–300.
29. Fraunfelder FW, Fraunfelder FT. Adverse ocular drug reactions recently identified by the National Registry of Drug-Induced Ocular Side Effects. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:1275–9.
30. Takeoka M, Holmes GL, Thiele E, et al. Topiramate and metabolic acidosis in pediatric epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2001;42:387–92.