1. Devinsky O, Vickrey BG, Cramer J, et al. Development of the quality of life in epilepsy inventory. Epilepsia. 1995;36:1089–104.
2. Donner EJ. Opportunity gained, opportunity lost: treating pharmacoresistant epilepsy in children. Epilepsia. 2013;54: Suppl 2. 16–8.
3. Cilio MR, Thiele EA, Devinsky O. The case for assessing cannabidiol in epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2014;55:787–90.
6. Kwan P, Brodie MJ. Early identification of refractory epilepsy. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:314–9.
7. Longo DL, Friedman D, Devinsky O. Cannabinoids in the treatment of epilepsy. N Engl J Med. 2015;373:1048–58.
8. Schultes RE. Man and marihuana. Nat Hist. 1973;82:59–68.
10. Reynolds JR. Epilepsy: its symptoms, treatment, and relation to other chronic, convulsive diseases. Am J Psychiatry. 1862;19:198–209.
11. Gowers WR. Epilepsy and other chronic convulsive disorders, their causes, symptoms and treatment. London: Churchill; 1881. p. 223
12. ElSohly M, Gul W. Constituents of cannabis sativa Handbook of Cannabis. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2014.
13. Lutz B. On-demand activation of the endocannabinoid system in the control of neuronal excitability and epileptiform seizures. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;68:1691–8.
14. Pertwee RG, Cascio MG. Known pharmacological actions of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and of four other chemical constituents of cannabis that activate cannabinoid receptors. Handbook of Cannabis. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2014.
15. Cascio MG, Pertwee RG. Known pharmacological actions of nine non-psychotropic phytocannabinoids. Handbook of Cannabis. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2014.
16. Wallace MJ, Blair RE, Falenski KW, Martin BR, DeLorenzo RJ. The endogenous cannabinoid system regulates seizure frequency and duration in a model of temporal lobe epilepsy. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003;307:129–37.
19. Stout SM, Cimino NM. Exogenous cannabinoids as substrates, inhibitors, and inducers of human drug metabolizing enzymes: a systematic review. Drug Metab Rev. 2014;46:86–95.
20. Patsalos PN, Perucca E. Clinically important drug interactions in epilepsy: general features and interactions between antiepileptic drugs. Lancet Neurol. 2003;2:347–56.
21. Geffrey AL, Pollack SF, Bruno PL, Thiele EA. Drug-drug interaction between clobazam and cannabidiol in children with refractory epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2015;56:1246–51.
22. Hawksworth G, McArdle K. Metabolism and pharmacokinetics of cannabinoids. Pharmaceutical Press; London, UK: 2004.
23. Devinsky O, Marsh E, Friedman D, et al. Cannabidiol in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy: an open-label interventional trial. Lancet Neurol. 2016;15:270–8.
24. Hussain SA, Zhou R, Jacobson C, et al. Perceived efficacy of cannabidiol-enriched cannabis extracts for treatment of pediatric epilepsy: A potential role for infantile spasms and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epilepsy Behav. 2015;47:138–41.
25. Hess EJ, Moody KA, Geffrey AL, et al. Cannabidiol as a new treatment for drug-resistant epilepsy in tuberous sclerosis complex. Epilepsia. 2016;57:1617–24.
26. Hill AJ, Hill TD, Whalley B. The development of cannabinoid based therapies for epilepsy. Endocannabinoids: molecular, pharmacological, behavioral and clinical features. bentham science publishers; Oak Park, IL: 2013. p. 164–204.
28. Zaccara G, Giovannelli F, Schmidt D. Placebo and nocebo responses in drug trials of epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2015;43:128–34.
29. Martinez-Orgado J, Fernandez-Lopez D. The seek of neuro-protection: introducing cannabinoids. Recent Pat CNS Drug Discov. 2007;2:131–39.
30. Castillo A, Tolón MR, Fernández-Ruiz J, Romero J, Martinez-Orgado J. The neuroprotective effect of cannabidiol in an in vitro model of newborn hypoxic-ischemic brain damage in mice is mediated by CB(2) and adenosine receptors. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;37:434–40.
31. Pazos MR, Mohammed N, Lafuente H, et al. Mechanisms of cannabidiol neuroprotection in hypoxic-ischemic newborn pigs: role of 5HT(1A) and CB2 receptors. Neuropharmacology. 2013;71:282–91.
32. Lafuente H, Alvarez FJ, Pazos MR, et al. Cannabidiol reduces brain damage and improves functional recovery after acute hypoxia-ischemia in newborn pigs. Pediatr Res. 2011;70:272–7.