2. Holthausen H, Pieper T, Kudernatsch M. Towards early diagnosis and treatment to save children from catastrophic epilepsy -- focus on epilepsy surgery. Brain Dev. 2013;35:730–41.
3. Wyllie E, Lachhwani DK, Gupta A, et al. Successful surgery for epilepsy due to early brain lesions despite generalized EEG findings. Neurology. 2007;69:389–97.
4. Lee YJ, Kang HC, Lee JS, et al. Resective pediatric epilepsy surgery in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Pediatrics. 2010;125:e58–66.
5. Kwan P, Arzimanoglou A, Berg AT, et al. Definition of drug resistant epilepsy: consensus proposal by the ad hoc task force of the ILAE Commission on therapeutic strategies. Epilepsia. 2010;51:1069–77.
6. Hidalgo ET, Weiner HL. Surgery for epileptogenic cerebral dysplasia in children. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017;59:270–5.
8. Markand ON. Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (childhood epileptic encephalopathy). J Clin Neurophysiol. 2003;20:426–41.
9. Jehi L, Wyllie E, Devinsky O. Epileptic encephalopathies: optimizing seizure control and developmental outcome. Epilepsia. 2015;56:1486–9.
10. Berg AT, Berkovic SF, Brodie MJ, et al. Revised terminology and concepts for organization of seizures and epilepsies: report of the ILAE Commission on classification and terminology, 2005–2009. Epilepsia. 2010;51:676–85.
11. Kwon HE, Eom S, Kang HC, et al. Surgical treatment of pediatric focal cortical dysplasia: clinical spectrum and surgical outcome. Neurology. 2016;87:945–51.
12. Lee YJ, Lee JS, Kang HC, et al. Outcomes of epilepsy surgery in childhood-onset epileptic encephalopathy. Brain Dev. 2014;36:496–504.
13. Douglass LM, Salpekar J. Surgical options for patients with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epilepsia. 2014;55: Suppl 4. 21–8.
14. Holthausen H, Pieper T, Winkler P, Bluemcke I, Kudernatsch M. Electroclinical-pathological correlations in focal cortical dysplasia (FCD) at young ages. Childs Nerv Syst. 2014;30:2015–26.
15. Bast T. Outcome after epilepsy surgery in children with MRI-negative non-idiopathic focal epilepsies. Epileptic Disord. 2013;15:105–13.
16. Bast T, Ramantani G, Seitz A, Rating D. Focal cortical dysplasia: prevalence, clinical presentation and epilepsy in children and adults. Acta Neurol Scand. 2006;113:72–81.
17. Kang JW, Rhie SK, Yu R, et al. Seizure outcome of infantile spasms with focal cortical dysplasia. Brain Dev. 2013;35:816–20.
18. Gaillard WD, Chiron C, Cross JH, et al. Guidelines for imaging infants and children with recent-onset epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2009;50:2147–53.
19. Krsek P, Kudr M, Jahodova A, et al. Localizing value of ictal SPECT is comparable to MRI and EEG in children with focal cortical dysplasia. Epilepsia. 2013;54:351–8.
20. Chugani HT, Shields WD, Shewmon DA, Olson DM, Phelps ME, Peacock WJ. Infantile spasms: I. PET identifies focal cortical dysgenesis in cryptogenic cases for surgical treatment. Ann Neurol. 1990;27:406–13.
22. Shahwan A, O‘Halloran PJ, Madigan C, King MD, O‘Brien D. Epilepsy surgery in pediatric epileptic encephalopathy: when interictal EEG counts the most. Childs Nerv Syst. 2016;32:1293–8.
23. Hauptman JS, Mathern GW. Surgical treatment of epilepsy associated with cortical dysplasia: 2012 update. Epilepsia. 2012;53: Suppl 4. 98–104.
24. Blumcke I, Spreafico R, Haaker G, et al. Histopathological findings in brain tissue obtained during epilepsy surgery. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:1648–56.
25. Blümcke I, Thom M, Aronica E, et al. The clinicopathologic spectrum of focal cortical dysplasias: a consensus classification proposed by an ad hoc Task Force of the ILAE Diagnostic Methods Commission. Epilepsia. 2011;52:158–74.
26. Najm IM, Tassi L, Sarnat HB, Holthausen H, Russo GL. Epilepsies associated with focal cortical dysplasias (FCDs). Acta Neuropathol. 2014;128:5–19.
27. Krsek P, Maton B, Korman B, et al. Different features of histopathological subtypes of pediatric focal cortical dysplasia. Ann Neurol. 2008;63:758–69.
28. Blumcke I, Pieper T, Pauli E, et al. A distinct variant of focal cortical dysplasia type I characterised by magnetic resonance imaging and neuropathological examination in children with severe epilepsies. Epileptic Disord. 2010;12:172–80.
29. Hildebrandt M, Pieper T, Winkler P, Kolodziejczyk D, Holthausen H, Blümcke I. Neuropathological spectrum of cortical dysplasia in children with severe focal epilepsies. Acta Neuropathol. 2005;110:1–11.
30. Lemke JR, Riesch E, Scheurenbrand T, et al. Targeted next generation sequencing as a diagnostic tool in epileptic disorders. Epilepsia. 2012;53:1387–98.
31. Gowda S, Salazar F, Bingaman WE, et al. Surgery for catastrophic epilepsy in infants 6 months of age and younger. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2010;5:603–7.
32. Kumar RM, Koh S, Knupp K, Handler MH, O‘Neill BR. Surgery for infants with catastrophic epilepsy: an analysis of complications and efficacy. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015;31:1479–91.
33. Loddenkemper T, Holland KD, Stanford LD, Kotagal P, Bingaman W, Wyllie E. Developmental outcome after epilepsy surgery in infancy. Pediatrics. 2007;119:930–5.
34. Honda R, Kaido T, Sugai K, et al. Long-term developmental outcome after early hemispherotomy for hemimegalencephaly in infants with epileptic encephalopathy. Epilepsy Behav. 2013;29:30–5.
35. Moosa ANV, Wyllie E. Cognitive outcome after epilepsy surgery in children. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2017;24:331–9.
36. Ramantani G, Kadish NE, Strobl K, et al. Seizure and cognitive outcomes of epilepsy surgery in infancy and early childhood. Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2013;17:498–506.
37. Van Schooneveld MM, Braun KP. Cognitive outcome after epilepsy surgery in children. Brain Dev. 2013;35:721–9.
38. Graham D, Tisdall MM, Gill D. Corpus callosotomy outcomes in pediatric patients: a systematic review. Epilepsia. 2016;57:1053–68.
39. Hur YJ, Kang HC, Kim DS, Choi SR, Kim HD, Lee JS. Uncovered primary seizure foci in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome after corpus callosotomy. Brain Dev. 2011;33:672–7.
40. Tanriverdi T, Olivier A, Poulin N, Andermann F, Dubeau F. Long-term seizure outcome after corpus callosotomy: a retrospective analysis of 95 patients. J Neurosurg. 2009;110:332–42.
41. Paglioli E, Martins WA, Azambuja N, et al. Selective posterior callosotomy for drop attacks: a new approach sparing prefrontal connectivity. Neurology. 2016;87:1968–74.
42. Hader WJ, Tellez-Zenteno J, Metcalfe A, et al. Complications of epilepsy surgery: a systematic review of focal surgical resections and invasive EEG monitoring. Epilepsia. 2013;54:840–7.
43. Steinbok P, Gan PY, Connolly MB, et al. Epilepsy surgery in the first 3 years of life: a Canadian survey. Epilepsia. 2009;50:1442–9.
44. Dunkley C, Kung J, Scott RC, et al. Epilepsy surgery in children under 3 years. Epilepsy Res. 2011;93:96–106.
45. Ansari SF, Maher CO, Tubbs RS, Terry CL, Cohen-Gadol AA. Surgery for extratemporal nonlesional epilepsy in children: a meta-analysis. Childs Nerv Syst. 2010;26:945–51.
46. Ryvlin P, Cross JH, Rheims S. Epilepsy surgery in children and adults. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13:1114–26.
47. West S, Nolan SJ, Cotton J, et al. Surgery for epilepsy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;7. CD010541
48. Jette N, Sander JW, Keezer MR. Surgical treatment for epilepsy: the potential gap between evidence and practice. Lancet Neurol. 2016;15:982–94.