1. Shorvon S, Sen A. What is status epilepticus and what do we know about its epidemiology? Seizure. 2020;75:131–6.
2. Peng Y, Chen L, Qu Y, Wang D, Zhu Y, Zhu Y. Rosiglitazone prevents autophagy by regulating Nrf2-antioxidant response element in a rat model of lithium-pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus. Neuroscience. 2021;455:212–22.
3. Li X, Zhu J, Liu K, Hu Y, Huang K, Pan S. Heparin ameliorates cerebral edema and improves outcomes following status epilepticus by protecting endothelial glycocalyx in mice. Exp Neurol. 2020;330:113320
4. Huh Y, Heo K, Park C, Ahn H. Transient induction of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in neurons of rat cerebral cortex after status epilepticus. Neurosci Lett. 2000;281:49–52.
7. Ashhab MU, Omran A, Kong H, et al. Expressions of tumor necrosis factor alpha and microRNA-155 in immature rat model of status epilepticus and children with mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. J Mol Neurosci. 2013;51:950–8.
8. Dejban P, Rahimi N, Takzare N, Jahansouz M, Haddadi NS, Dehpour AR. Beneficial effects of dapsone on ischemia/reperfusion injury following torsion/detorsion in ipsilateral and contralateral testes in rat. Theriogenology. 2019;140:136–42.
9. Nader-Kawachi J, Góngora-Rivera F, Santos-Zambrano J, Calzada P, Ríos C. Neuroprotective effect of dapsone in patients with acute ischemic stroke: a pilot study. Neurol Res. 2007;29:331–4.
10. Hamada K, Hiyoshi T, Kobayashi S, Ishida S, Yagi K, Seino M. Anticonvulsive effect of dapsone (4,4′-diaminodiphenyl sulfone) on amygdala-kindled seizures in rats and cats. Epilepsy Res. 1991;10:93–102.
11. Rodríguez E, Méndez-Armenta M, Villeda-Hernández J, et al. Dapsone prevents morphological lesions and lipid peroxidation induced by quinolinic acid in rat corpus striatum. Toxicology. 1999;139:111–8.
12. Kast RE, Lefranc F, Karpel-Massler G, Halatsch ME. Why dapsone stops seizures and may stop neutrophils’ delivery of VEGF to glioblastoma. Br J Neurosurg. 2012;26:813–7.
14. Zamanian G, Shayan M, Rahimi N, et al. Interaction of morphine tolerance with pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure threshold in mice: the role of NMDA-receptor/NO pathway. Epilepsy Behav. 2020;112:107343
15. Meskinimood S, Rahimi N, Faghir-Ghanesefat H, Gholami M, Sharifzadeh M, Dehpour AR. Modulatory effect of opioid ligands on status epilepticus and the role of nitric oxide pathway. Epilepsy Behav. 2019;101:106563
16. Bahramnjead E, Kazemi Roodsari S, Rahimi N, Etemadi P, Aghaei I, Dehpour AR. Effects of modafinil on clonic seizure threshold induced by pentylenetetrazole in mice: involvement of glutamate, nitric oxide, GABA, and serotonin pathways. Neurochem Res. 2018;43:2025–37.
18. Zindler E, Zipp F. Neuronal injury in chronic CNS inflammation. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2010;24:551–62.
19. Bai Z, Chen G, Li W, Hou Y, Li N. Natural inhibitors on over-activation of microglia from herbals. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2019;67:640–7.
20. Kreutzberg GW. Microglia: a sensor for pathological events in the CNS. Trends Neurosci. 1996;19:312–8.
21. Del-Bel EA, Oliveira PR, Oliveira JA, Mishra PK, Jobe PC, Garcia-Cairasco N. Anticonvulsant and proconvulsant roles of nitric oxide in experimental epilepsy models. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1997;30:971–9.
23. Eslami F, Rahimi N, Ostovaneh A, et al. Sumatriptan reduces severity of status epilepticus induced by lithium-pilocarpine through nitrergic transmission and 5-HT1B/D receptors in rats: a pharmacological-based evidence. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2021;35:131–40.
24. Racine RJ. Modification of seizure activity by electrical stimulation. II. Motor seizure. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1972;32:281–94.
25. Suchomelova L, Baldwin RA, Kubova H, Thompson KW, Sankar R, Wasterlain CG. Treatment of experimental status epilepticus in immature rats: dissociation between anticonvulsant and antiepileptogenic effects. Pediatr Res. 2006;59:237–43.
27. Holopainen IE. Seizures in the developing brain: cellular and molecular mechanisms of neuronal damage, neurogenesis and cellular reorganization. Neurochem Int. 2008;52:935–47.
29. Jope RS, Morrisett RA, Snead OC. Characterization of lithium potentiation of pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus in rats. Exp Neurol. 1986;91:471–80.
30. Honchar MP, Olney JW, Sherman WR. Systemic cholinergic agents induce seizures and brain damage in lithium-treated rats. Science. 1983;220:323–5.
33. Vezzani A, Aronica E, Mazarati A, Pittman QJ. Epilepsy and brain inflammation. Exp Neurol. 2013;244:11–21.
34. Sheibani M, Nezamoleslami S, Faghir-Ghanesefat H, Emami AH, Dehpour AR. Cardioprotective effects of dapsone against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2020;85:563–71.
35. Zhang T, Tian X, Wang Q, et al. Surgical stress induced depressive and anxiety like behavior are improved by dapsone via modulating NADPH oxidase level. Neurosci Lett. 2015;585:103–8.
36. Rashidian A, Rashki A, Abdollahi A, et al. Dapsone reduced acetic acid-induced inflammatory response in rat colon tissue through inhibition of NF-kB signaling pathway. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2019;41:607–13.
37. Dehpour AR, Khaledi E, Noori T, et al. Repurposing of dapsone as neuroprotective agent on cuprizone-induced demyelination via targeting Nrf2 and NF-kB in C57BL/6 Mice [Internet]. Research Square. 2021. [cited 2022 Jul 24]. Available at: https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-494322/v1
38. Ríos C, Farfán-Briseño AC, Manjarrez-Marmolejo J, et al. Efficacy of dapsone administered alone or in combination with diazepam to inhibit status epilepticus in rats. Brain Res. 2019;1708:181–7.
39. Korhonen R, Lahti A, Kankaanranta H, Moilanen E. Nitric oxide production and signaling in inflammation. Curr Drug Targets Inflamm Allergy. 2005;4:471–9.
40. de Bock F, Dornand J, Rondouin G. Release of TNF alpha in the rat hippocampus following epileptic seizures and excitotoxic neuronal damage. Neuroreport. 1996;7:1125–9.
42. Moncada S, Higgs EA. Endogenous nitric oxide: physiology, pathology and clinical relevance. Eur J Clin Invest. 1991;21:361–74.